Our grants

The Ruth Hayman Trust awards small personal grants to support the education and training of adults who have come to settle in the UK, speak English as a second or other language and have difficulty in paying for their studies.


We do NOT award grants if you have paid the fee before you apply.

If you pay the fee after the date of your application and we send you an award please return the cheque and send a copy of the receipt for your payment. We will then send you a cheque in your or another name. Please tell us who to make the cheque out to.

We award a maximum of £500, but the average is about £150. We do not support PhD students. 

You can also apply for a grant for essential books, thanks to a generous donation from the Good Gifts Catalogue.


What can the award be used for?

We mostly give awards for:

  • registration and course fees
  • exam fees
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) fees
  • costs of joining professional bodies if these are essential for participation on the course.
  • dictionaries (kindly donated by Oxford University Press and sent out 4 times a year) and essential textbooks

If we have sufficient money, we also give awards for equipment essential to the course, such as:

  • chef’s knives
  • hairdresser’s scissors
  • steel-capped boots for bricklaying apprentices

We do NOT give money for:

  • travel costs (except for disabled students with an accompanying statement from a doctor)
  • accommodation
  • childcare
  • living expenses
  • postgraduate education (unless it leads directly to employment, e.g. PGCE, and never for PhDs).

Note: Cheques for fees will normally be made out to colleges or other institutions.

Cheques for equipment and the Rose Grant Award will usually be made personally to you.  

If you pay the fees yourself after you send your application and we send you an award, please return the cheque and send a copy of the receipt for your payment.  We will then send you a cheque in your name.  If you do not have a bank account say whose name we should put on the cheque.

Who can apply

You may apply for a Ruth Hayman Trust grant if you:

  • are an adult who has come to settle in the UK
  • are resident in the UK, either as a citizen of the UK or EU, spouse of a citizen, or an asylum seeker, or refugee.
  • are enrolled on a course (or about to enrol), either to learn English or further your studies (Please note that we do not fund PhDs)
  • are enrolled at a state-funded college or university (private colleges or institutions are only acceptable if the course is only available in specialist private training organisations.)
  • can provide an academic reference from someone who has taught, or currently teaches or advises you, who can say this course is appropriate for you
  • speak English as a second or other language; and
  • can show that you are in financial need

You are not eligible to apply for a Ruth Hayman Trust grant if you:

  • are in the UK as an overseas student
  • are studying on a distance learning course (unless you are completely unable to travel to a place of learning or are able to show that a distance learning course is best suited to your individual needs.)


When to apply

The awards committee of the trust meets about five or six times a year.  The closing date for applications is listed on the website.

Make sure you apply in time for your course start date. For example, if your course starts in September, you should apply for a grant in June if possible.



Guidelines for applicants

You must read the application guidelines before applying. It contains useful tips to increase your chances of getting a grant. 



Making an application

Download an application form or apply online. 


Guidelines for referees

If you are a referee for an applicant, read these guidelines before writing your reference letter. 


Rose Grant Special Award

An additional award of up to £500 for exceptional applicants.